Thursday, October 17, 2013

Learning from my sis

I just came across an article on how US monetary policy has impact on Indian market especially in context with agriculture infrastructure and food inflation. Was jotting down things, trying to connect figures and just when I thought I was getting into details, I came to realize that I hardly knew the surface, lolz. My youngest sis, who is now in her 12th, an economics major stared at my board, asked me to come down to her after meals (basically, I got an appointment :) ).

After meals: We sat down in her room; she had those standard school economics and business studies books at her table, 'Business Today' and 'Economist' magazines lined up in a rack and biographies of few Indian businessmen and politicians. So what she first did was, open up those standard books, briefs me on structure, rules and laws, etc on the bridge between Indian policies and business capitalization. And man! she actually explained it so well. This took an hour. I was hoping to know more about monetary policies in context with different verticals, trade offs and other practical implications but the reaction that came from her left me shocked. She laughed outrageously, the explanation for which I received was: 'This book knowledge is not right, its not maths or science, don't expect accuracy'. I stared back with anger, for we both knew how I hated wasting time. She then opened some articles from her collection of magazines, made me read them. She had some articles cut and kept aside, 'The savior trap', 'The reckoning', 'When giants slow down', etc.. This got me some insight into what I was looking for, not exactly the same context but some clarity on the aftermath and on how things were actually working, or rather I say how things were not working!
And then she kept them aside, told me about how one act of us buying a car has strings attached to it. (Excuse me for cutting out the details!)

I don't mean to brag her detailed knowledge and clarity on things, but I was so wowed on her ability to connect the dots so well, and of course on her amazing patience on tutoring me ;)
Got to get me another appointment!